Friday, January 29, 2010

a ripple in time

one day the coos and
incorrectly pronounced words
will depart
becoming shadows of a time
once brilliant, crisp and clear

dancing, twirling round and round
again and again she spins
carrying mundane treasures
imaginary medley

babies, then held safely in arms
traded toy box full of forgotten things
wanted long ago
keepsakes now tucked safely away
questions once so easily answered
now silenced and understood

time will pass
growing like a seedling into a tree
and then
like the reflection of water,
reaching out
touched
a ripple in time

3 comments:

Annie said...

I enjoyed this poem, for its sentiment, and the quality of the writing. It read wonderfully for me when I read it aloud. My son is almost sixteen, so I can readily identify. All I can suggest is: savor every precious moment! Thank you for posting this poem.

This is how it breaks up as I read it, into free verse stanzas, and I'm wondering if this is what you intend:

one day the coos and
incorrectly pronounced words
will depart
becoming shadows of a time
once brilliant, crisp and clear

dancing, twirling round and round
again and again she spins
carrying mundane treasures
imaginary medley

babies, then held safely in your arms
traded toy box full of forgotten things
wanted long ago
keepsakes now tucked safely away
questions once so easily answered
now silenced and understood

time will pass
growing like a seedling into a tree
and then
like the reflection of water,
reaching out
touched
a ripple in time

Alexis said...

Annie, THANK YOU! I made the adjustments!
Im still a bit confused when it comes to the "body" of poetry!

Annie said...

Hi Alexis,
Something told me as I read it aloud, that's how the poem "broke up" as you wrote it.

I could "hear" the units of rhythm, sound, meaning, and mood- so I'm glad I was able to help. It's a wonderful poem!