Tuesday, March 23, 2010

O.K.

I was born in Oklahoma City, O.K.
I was born quiet and on oxygen but o.k.
My Momma gave me time to come,
she knew I would come in my own time

After hours laboring her first of 8,
tired, worn and waiting for Daddy,
she held her breath when the Doctor came
and told her of heart rate decline

Baby might be in distress-
spinal tap to numb the pain
There is a good chance we will take baby out
so breath and wait, but for now your o.k.

Momma knew I would come in my own time
just like I always do, now that I am grown
She had faith in God and me
she pushed on through uncertainty

I was born at eleven a.m.
breathing and purple, but o.k.
I was born where the nurse had an almost southern drawl
I was born in Oklahoma City, O.K.

"Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin down the plains"
                             - Overture Oklahoma,  from the musical "Oklahoma."
 






9 comments:

JoAnn said...

I love your play on words.

Jodi said...

Even more than ok. :)

Anil P said...

All is well that ends O.K. Lovely.

Wanda said...

Your poems are impressive, Alexis...I'm looking forward to reading more.
Thank you for visiting Moments of Mine.

Barb said...

You are OK! The cohesion of place and feeling is wonderful.

Delwyn said...

Hello Alexis

I see you have two of the warmest and sweetest bloggers in your comment column...My blog pals Wanda and Barb...

I love your onion seed header...it reminds me of my Dad's garden...he always left a few onions to go to seed, saved the seeds, we shook them from the onion heads as they dried...and stored them over winter for his spring gardens.

That was an A O K poem...do you have that saying?

Happy days

Alexis said...

JoAnn, Jodi, Anil, Wanda and Barb,
Thank you for your comments!

Delwyn,
Wanda and Barb are exactly as you describe!
My husbands Mother planted the onions in her Garden, a much better gardener than I! I thought they were beautiful!
Yes, we have the saying, A O K! My Mom grew up in Oklahoma and she has always used it.
Thank you so much for your comment!

sealaura said...

love your poetry, you are so talented. I recently visited OK my bf's family lives there in Norman. So now I have a soft spot for OK in my heart.

Alexis said...

Oklahoma is a beautiful state, Sea. I'll always have a soft spot too.