Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Life Not Rushed on by Tea

time isn't really time at all
just hands crossed over the mantle piece
while grandfather counts in drunken chords
rejoicing for moments passed and gone
though they be precious, dark or bitter sweet

time is for the days and weeks
organized by the busy bees
and with each month that adds in to the years,
wrinkles are added unto men,
their new or worn or wrinkled feet
pacing tickers tock again

why cant time be grey split ends
or eyes that change from clustered views
to twist and bend and wrap around
the why and who and how and when
the more you gaze upon knowledge's crown
-blue will eyes become again

when in the field picking flowered boquets
speckled by purples, reds and greens
the sun might suggest that dinners come
not the clock or the cell or the liquored dong(!)

and when your grey and old and done
like a bird left in the oven too long
they would say like this and that,

"oh, she lived and was not rushed on
by days or weeks or months or years
added up by seconds gone
not eighty years she spent so long
but life was lived and for the more"

and said of her after she is passed,

"she lived a life not rushed on by tea"

17 comments:

Cezanne said...

Alexis, I love it. It's beautiful. Makes me realize that I should slow things down a little. I love you.

Kath said...

What a lovely poem. It reminded me of an old lady I cared for until her death at Christmas. You are a very talented girl.love Kath at Railway cottage

Alexis said...

Cezanne,
Love you too Sis.

Kath,
Thank you for reading and for the kind compliments.

Wanda said...

I love your prose, Alexis ..."oh, she lived and was not rushed on...." I like to think, that I have learned to do this. ♥...Wanda

Alexis said...

Wanda,
I can tell your not rushed on and your lovely blog is proof!

Jodi said...

Alexis, you poetry is very multi-layered and beautiful, a lovely garden of prose.

Barb said...

Hi Alexis, I think maybe I'm becoming one of the old birds left in the oven too long! That said, I take my time - I won't be rushed - I live for NOW. I enjoyed the imagery in your poem.

How is the weather in Sacramento now? I'm visiting your fair city in Mid-May.

Alexis said...

Jodi,
Thank You!

Alexis said...

Barb,
LoL!
The weather here is 67 and sunny! What brings you to Sac-town?

Mominin said...

Beautiful!

thewindhover said...

Ah Alexis, it has been such a joy reading through your prose what a gifted wordsmith you are! Bless you x

Delwyn said...

Hello Alexis

Having spent a week with my aged parents I have been giving this topic some thought...and darn if I want time to slip away on me...I have so much to see and appreciate...not in an anxious, hurried way but in a languorous and mellow, focused way...

Bringing up kids and all that it entails means a life somewhat dictated by the clock...Make sure you find time for yourself, make time...take time...

Most of all now I just love being lost in time, becoming absorbed by the thing I am enthralled in whether it is taking pictures, writing a story, creating a collage...I love the immersion and as Joseph Campbell would say when that happens you are following your bliss...

thank you for your poem and the thoughts it triggered...

Happy days

Alexis said...

Mominin,
thank you for reading!

thewindhover,
thank you for stopping by my blog, I really enjoy Thoughts and Biro sketches!

Alexis said...

Delwyn,
I hope you had a great visit with your parents.
Time is a concept that I am learning to appreciate, although it demands respect because it can go by so quickly if you rush it! My goal latly has been to just slowly enjoy my life!
I will take your advice and I really enjoyed reading your comment.

The Empress said...

Hi! Came over from uber UBP.

Very peaceful here, with some beautiful poetry. I've visitied A LOT of sites, but this one feels right.

Very happy to have found you.

I'm your newest follower now.

TS Hendrik said...

I came to say thank you for stopping by my blog, and began reading your wonderful poetry. This is just simply beautiful. I love the imagery and the rhythm.

Alexis said...

Empress,
Glad you stopped by!

TS,
Thank you so much for stopping by mine. I'm glad that I found your blog, your poetry is awesome!