Thursday, August 12, 2010

questions for the redwood


                                                                       r
                                                                      e
                                                                      d,
                                                                      how
                                                                    old
                                                                      are
                                                                      you...
                                                                     when
                                                                     did your
                                                                     seed
                                                                   drop into
                                                                    the dust,
                                                   to  burrow it's self
                                                                      deep
                                                                      under
                                                                      layers
                                                                      of dirt ?
                                                                   when did your bark begin
                                                                     to form,
                                                                     bleeding
                                                                    red wood
                                                                     like veins
                                                                   spilled open?
                                                                  did you always
                                                                stand so tall above
                                                              everything below and
                                                               do your toes get cold
                                                           when    roots    shoot      out
                                                             f          c       m      o         f
                                                            r         o         a       f            e
                                                        o          v           d                       r
                                                      m             e        e                        n
                                                                    r                                       s
                                                                      s                                      ?

I'm linking up with Emily @ in the hush of the moon for Imperfect Prose.

36 comments:

B. Meandering said...

I love this! Don't you wish it could answer you? It'd be wonderful!

emily wierenga said...

oh i'm so glad to read you hear again, alexis... i've missed you and your way with words: red wood spilling like open veins... you amaze. and i remember, their towering selves, and the way i wanted to live in their wisdom, these grandfather roots of california...

by the way, i've borrowed The Lighthouse from the library, and will start reading it tonight. ((thank you)) love to you... e.

Claudia said...

so beautiful Alexis!
there are so many fantastic words in your poem but what i like most was...do your toes get cold when roots shoot out...it's just so - caring and - yep don't know exactly what - but touches me...
also like how you shaped the words..

Brian Miller said...

nice. like how you shaped the words...trees were some of my favorite playmates...they became forts and castles and lookout towers...

Nancy said...

Thank you for the idea of asking questions--what a great way to stop, slow down, and drink more deeply of beauty. Very cool.

Southern Gal said...

Such amazing trees created by a big God.

Foxglove Spires said...

Your poem is wonderful Alexis and full of the life of the mighty tree. Such a beautiful creation and wonderful words.

Wanda..... said...

Brilliant, Alexis, you even shaped the words, like the tree above it!

Kendra said...

This is great. Love the shape!

JoAnn said...

love it, but where have you been? I tried calling you yesterday and your phone was busy...

Sam Liu said...

Beautiful and inventive shape poem, Alexis. One truly gets a sense of that haunting and magnificent atmosphere of the forest.

Jodi said...

love this. Did he answer?

classycareergirl said...

Love the poem and the photo!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Alexis, I just love this poem. Can I read it for my creative writing session? I am sure my students will not only love it but also be inspired by it.

Sytiva Sheehan said...

This is nice alexis

Susannah said...

Wonderful! and I really loved the tree shaped words too.

Annie said...

Hi Alexis,

I enjoyed this poem, and the shape of it! (I've experimented with shape poetry, and I love it when the words cooperate.) Your words stand alone, without the shape, which, to me, is the mark of a successful shape poem. I especially love the final line, too: Do your toes get cold...

What I love most about this poem is the innocent voice of the speaker. In the presence of ancient trees, mountains, or vistas, we all become as children, open to wonderment.

Jodi said...

Alexis, when I saw your comment this morning, I could have kicked myself, because it reminded me of a photo I planned to put up, but forgot. Check it out.

Carrie Burtt said...

Alexis I just love what you did with this amazing poem...you are so talented and creative!! :-)

Hilty Sprouts! said...

Lovely poems Alexis! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Barb said...

Your poem fashioned like a redwood also stands tall, Alexis. I like the photo and the way you have replicated it with your words. You are also branching out...

emily wierenga said...

thank you, sweet friend, for your prayers and your words. you so encourage me. i still plan to do imperfect prose this week... i hope you'll join me. love to you, e.

Sienna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sienna said...

Your writing amazes me. When I read your poetry I just can't believe how beautiful it is!

Samantha Bennett said...

Beautiful! "Like vines spilled open..." The words just float.

Julie Musil said...

Oh my gosh, this is so cool! I'm calling my sons up to look at this, since we love redwoods. Well done!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I so love this poem, Alexis! I love trees, to begin with, and love your wonderings about its beginnings. What you did at the botom, making roots of the words, is brilliant:)

Kerry O'Connor said...

What a grand visual piece in honour of tress far older than we. I love it.

Thank you, Alexis, for visiting my blog. I'm equally enriched to make your acquaintance and shall follow your blog in the hopes of many more rich rewards of writing.

Sincerely
Kerry

deb said...

Alexis ~~ how very incredible.
love love it.

(still catching up from being away... :) )

Amy Danielle said...

I wanted to let you know how very much your blog blesses me. There is an award for your blog over at my page. I understand if you chose not to use it, but I wanted you to know that yours is one of the top 12 blogs that comes to my mind.

Love in Jesus!
~Amy

http://overweightsofjoy.blogspot.com/2010/08/blogging-award.html

emily wierenga said...

i miss you........... where are you, beautiful poetess??

Shadow said...

thank you for your visit, and i, too, have enjoyed my visit over here. i'll pop in again!

The Empress said...

Oh, redwoods. My kids and I spent about a month studying redwoods this spring.

We came to love them, and their majesty, too.

I love this poem.

Arian Tejano said...

wow. although the poem falls down to its roots, i can tell it reaches skyward.

Niamh B said...

Brilliant, love the shape of it

Leslie said...

I like your poem to the red. Kind of reminds me of the Ents in Lord of the Rings ... and of course I really, really love the way the words are shaped to be the reflection of the tree.

Favorite verse? "and do your toes get cold when your roots shoot out from covers made of ferns?" Such childlike wonder in these words. I'm so glad you still have that.

I look forward to getting to know you better! (And thanks for YOUR encouraging words to me today. They lifted my heart.)