Monday, September 6, 2010

Falling in love with Sacramento and Thankful. . .

Today I sailed, through the wake, under sun and clouds spread thin and sparse. I dipped my hands in water, river of my city and I fell hard for bridges and skyscraper silhouettes. . .

There is a homeless man who spews poems about what he sees and He finds joy somehow. His bed is green grass and His roof is made of countless stars. He has a beard he twirls and He has a story that I have no courage to ask on. He tells us "Hello" with a smile and I say it back trembling in contemplation because. . .

He sits on a hill as others dock their boats and He looks down making  poems from life with no pen, just words out of mouth spilled over a warm day in September. He loves these days and he always sees them through, with no air conditioning or heater to flip on.

I listened to him, "ahoy there, chaparral, yellow be the day..." and the engines of boats and trains and vessels and when I thought that we had spent our time all gone. . .

The sun set behind the trees, like fire through branches spreading as we passed, racing us, that bright and shining star that seems to always win. Then it sunk behind the horizon, like an anchor slow in motion falling and baby on my chest took a deep breath and I was thankful unto God:

for river cities that never sleep,

a father-in-law (who I call Dad) letting us borrow his boat ,

the pink that blends into many shades of blue at sunset,

an hour at the river turning into 7 and more fun than we knew what to do with,

sauerkraut dogs,

the laugh my husband and I got out of our 2 year old Ainsley eating a dogie biscuit off the ground in Old Town Sac. . .

shade in breezy places when the sun is hot and blasting down.

Family, what would I be without you?

I'm joining Ann of Holy Experience to count the blessings and yank out thankful. . .











holy experience

22 comments:

Dawn said...

What a beautiful way with words you have. Thanks for the opportunity to sail in Sacramento with you.

Many blessings,
Dawn

Claudia said...

Alexis - this is just wonderful - sounds like you had a lovely day - and you found the most lovely words to describe it…such a lot of peace and thankfulness shines through your lines

…and i like your new blog layout as well...

Beth said...

Alexis,

Enjoyed stopping by Ann's blog and finding you there. I love the way we have opportunity to keep being thankful on Monday's with Ann. I love choosing just a couple of blogs to jump to from hers and today it was yours! Thank you for the picture you have created through your words of the homeless man.

Nancy said...

I, too, am thankful for a father-in-law I call Dad and consider sauerkraut dogs a mouthful of happiness. Love your achingly beautiful tribute to a one who makes poetry amdist his brokenness. Thank you for paying tribute to his gift.

Farmgirl Paints said...

love your grateful overflowing heart! follower free looks good on you:)

Jenn said...

You are such a beautiful writer! This was a blessing to read :) Thanks again for stopping by my blog and leaving a thoughtful comment.. Doesn't happen very often!

God bless you and the homeless man... I pray that he finds Jesus and if he already has, then he has more riches than the world could ever hold

violet said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, Alexis. I'm happy your dad lent you that boat too, so you could share your day with us. I'll bet your mom misses you and your babes terribly, and wishes she could see more of them.

Lindsey V said...

Great to connect with you via Holy Experience! I love your blog title! Wicked cute and real!

Kara said...

What a treat it was to read you poetry about Sacramento. Thanks for stopping by today. I really enjoyed your sharing words. Just beautiful and what a way to honor the soul (the homeless man) that you were touched by.
Kara

Manda said...

River cities, sauerkraut dogs, colour splashed skies... I'm with you :)

Rachel said...

What a blessing and a gift to take notice of the poetry gift most people probably just walk by, to contemplate and enjoy your surroundings, sound like a great family day, enjoyed reading your list.

emily wierenga said...

and yank out thankful...

oh, i love that he twirls his beard, and i love your list and your flow of words... beautiful, beautiful prose...

emily wierenga said...

he, this man, is one of the least of these that shines, as i just wrote about.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I love the beautiful way you handle your words, Alexis. Thanks for this wonderful post!

Vicki said...

there is almost nothing better than a boat ride...

we drove south and was just on the Indiana side of Kentucky yesterday, which is separated by the Ohio River, and across the river we could see the skyscrapers of the big city of Louisville--reminds me of the skyscrapers of your Sacramento!

Ostriches Look Funny said...

oh Ainsley. You crack me up with your dining habits!
miss you guys. I loved this. You my dear, are a writer.
Also....Johnny said he was going to wear a superhero costume to the party on Sunday. :)

Debbie Doughty said...

What a beautiful picture of gratitude you've painted with your words. Thank you for the blessing!

Jingle said...

your words are like fresh air...
masterful piece.

deb said...

gorgeous gorgeous
imagery and heart

Barb said...

Your prose poem flows like the river, Alexis. I can picture your day because I love Sacramento, too, and have also spent time watching the water and seeking shade. A sweet end-of-summer day with your dear family.

Annie said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful day, and all of your impressions. You've made the homeless man memorable, and I can visualize those pinks blending into many shades of blue.

Jingle said...

Hello, friend, how are you?

I invite you to our Monday Poetry Potluck Party,
We have other features such as poem of the week, poetry blog of the week, and poet of the week, plus Sunday poetry news dispatch, if you attend our Monday Party, there is a chance that you poetry or you as a promising poet are represented by one of our officials, and your talent will be highlighted or exposed to wider audience,

No specific rules, simply linking in 1 to 3 poems, it could be an old poem, let us read and comment for you. Feel free tasting other poetry treats, all enjoyable experience…

http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/09/poetry-potluck-big-bang.html

Click on the link, you will see a blue button, click on the blue button, you will see three boxes, your specific poem link to be placed in first, then your name or blog name, then your email connected to your blog….

Happy Monday!
Let the fun begin!
Cheers!